2013 SMUSA Elections
Thanks to all of our candidates and voters! You are the reason that SMU has spirit and no matter your position or whether you won your ballot or not, please don’t stop doing what you do to make SMU great!
The winners of the 2013 Elections:
President: Jared Perry
Board of Directors (in alphabetical order):
- Amroo Al-Saeedy
- Keir Feehan
- Ryan Hamilton
- Ermal Loshi
- Bryan Rice
- Venktesh Sharma
- Mark Slaunwhite
- Continue supporting the SMU Women’s Centre @ $2/yr. Result: YES
- Continue supporting the WUSC program @ $2/yr for full time students and $1/yr for part time students. Result: YES
- Continue supporting The Journal @ $4/yr. Result: YES
- Continue paying $7/yr for full time students and $5/yr for part time students for a Yearbook. Result: YES
- Increase fees to Students NS byy 10% over 3 years. Result: YES
- 2013 Election information
- Nomination information
- Dates to Remember
- The Candidates
- The Chief Returning Officer (CRO) and Deputy Returning Officer (DRO)
- Referendum questions
There will be an information session held for those interested in running for either President or Board of Directors on January 21st in the Ozmon Boardroom on the 5th floor of the Student Centre.
Nominations are now open for President and Board of Directors positions!
You can pick up a nomination package at the SMUSA Offices on the 5th floor of the Student Centre.
Nominations close at 5pm on January 23rd!
Dates to Remember
January 21: Information session @ 5:30pm in Loyola 178 (UPDATED)
January 23: End of nomination period @ 5:00pm
January 24: Candidates Meeting @ 6:00pm in Room 522 Student Centre
January 27: Candidates Meeting and materials approval @ 1:30pm in Room 522 Student Centre
January 27: Campaign period starts @ 3:00pm
January 30: Board of Directors forum, AT 101 @ 7:00pm
February 6: Presidential Debate, McNally Auditorium @ 7:00pm
February 13-14: Voting Days (polls in Atrium, Student Centre, Loyola Colonnade, and at the Loyola/McNally overpass walkway) 9am-6pm daily.
Learn more about the candidates in the January 30th issue of The Journal.
The 2013-2014 SMUSA Presidential Candidates:
The 2013-2014 SMUSA Board of Directors Candidates:
The Chief Returning Officer (CRO) and Deputy Returning Officer (DRO)
The Chief Returning Officer (CRO) for the 2012-2013 Academic Year is James Patriquin. You can reach him at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) is Somesh Jha. Their office is located in room 522, located on the 5th floor of the Student Centre and their office hours are listed below.
James Patriquin (CRO) Somesh Jha (DRO) Monday 11:30am-12:50pm 2:30pm-4:00pm Tuesday 2:30pm-4:00pm 2:30pm-4:00pm & 7:00pm-10:00pm Wednesday 11:30am-4:00pm 2:30pm-4:00pm Thursday 2:30pm-4:00pm 2:30pm-4:00pm & 5:30pm-10:00pm Friday No Office Hours 2:30pm-5:00pm
The following questions have been approved by the SMUSA Board of Directors to appear on the ballot in the 2013 election. Each question will require a Yes or No answer (unless you choose to abstain, in which case, no selection is required)
- “The SMU Women’s Centre is a student-run organization that offers a safe space on campus for students of all genders, including trans students. They offer services which include: crisis referrals, advocacy & support, and free condoms, pads/tampons and lube. They host a variety of events on campus and in the community to support local charities and advocate for social justice. Currently you are paying a yearly fee of $2, do you support the continuation of this fee to allow the women’s centre services to remain available to students?
- WUSC is a refugee advocacy program that sponsors a refugee student to study at Saint Mary’s University each year. Currently you are paying $2/full time student and $1/part time student to sponsor the program. Do you agree to the continued services provided by the program?
- Currently you are paying $4 for the yearly services provided by The Journal. Do you agree to the continued services being provided to all students at an unaltered price?
- Currently you are paying $7/year per full time student and $5/year per part time student to fund the Yearbook. Do you agree to the continued services, and to receive a Yearbook upon graduation at no extra cost?
- The government of Nova Scotia is cutting funding to Universities by 10% over three years and increasing tuition. StudentsNS is a student advocacy group lobbying on behalf of students’ issues including these funding cuts. Would you support a $2.91/year per full-time student and $1.75/year per part-time student tuition increase to support this group in fighting for student interests?
2012 SMUSA Elections
Voting dates: Feb 14 & 15, 2012. You can vote online at www.smusa.ca or at one of our polling stations between 9am and 6pm), located at:
- Loyola Colonnade (Tim Horton’s)
- 1st Floor, Student Centre
- Rice Residence foyer
- Loyola/McNally overpass (Loyola side)
- Main floor, The Atrium
Learn more about each candidate in the Feb. 8th issue of The Journal, available on campus and at select locations in HRM now!
The 2012-2013 SMUSA Presidential Candidates:
Adam N. Faber
The 2012-2013 SMUSA Board of Directors Candidates:
Michael S. Coady
Samuel P. Hammond
Michael J. Langlais
(Leo) Yijun Li
G. Scott Smith
1) “The Canadian Alliance of Student Associations (CASA) is SMUSA’s current paid federal lobby group for student interests. Do you support SMUSA’s continued membership in this organization?”
2) “The Alliance of Nova Scotia Student Associations (ANSSA) is SMUSA’s current paid provincial lobby group for student interests. Do you support SMUSA’s continued membership in this organization?”
3) “The Alliance of Nova Scotia Students’ Associations (ANSSA) is SMUSA’s current provincial lobby group for student interests. Would you support a per-student fee change from $2.68/year to $5.59/year for full-time students, and a change from $1.58/year to $3.33/year for part-time students?” with options “Yes”, “No”, or “Abstain” on the official ballot.
Rules & Regulations
Download the 2012 SMUSA Elections Policy
Dates to Remember
FEB 10th (Fri) @ 6pm – Board of Directors Forum – UPDATED: Atrium 101
FEB 13th (Mon) @ 6pm – Presidential Debate – Scotiabank Theatre
FEB 14th (Tues) @ Voting Day! Vote @ smusa.ca or at polling stations on campus (9a-6p)
FEB 15th (Wed) @ Voting Day! Vote @ smusa.ca or at polling stations on campus (9a-6p). ALL POLLS CLOSED AT 6PM!
FEB 16th (Thu) @ 9pm – ELECTIONS 2012 Results Party – The Gorsebrook Lounge
Candidate’s Election Materials
Download the 2012 SMUSA Candidate’s Elections Materials. This zip file includes the 2012 elections policy, campaign materials assessment, and printing info for candidates.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Chief Returning Officer, Dawn E. Penney at email@example.com or call 496-8774
Office: Room No. 526, Student Centre Building
Office Hours :
MON – 4:00 – 7:00PM
TUE – 2:30 – 5:30P
WED – 11:00 – 2:00PM
FRI – 11:00 – 5:30PM